Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pizza la pizzas are supported by a lot of fresh delicious toppings!

Hey pizza friends! Just wanted to let you know that, only a few minutes ago, I had a couple of slices! They were delicious! One small speed bump along the way, though:

I was at the condiment station, getting into some crushed red pepper flakes, when, distracted by conversation, I accidentally grabbed a shaker filled with garlic powder. You see, this particular pizza establishment forgoes the standard practice of putting garlic powder in a regulation size salt/pepper shaker, instead repurposing the larger vehicle more commonly used for red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese. It was, in fact, Parmesan cheese that I was reaching for on this fine afternoon. But intentions be damned, what I got was a loaded gun filled with garlic powder bullets. And pizza friends, make no mistake, this gun went off. Which is to say...unfettered, free to flow briskly from the hole-top of the too-large Parmesan cheese shaker, this garlic powder just plain exploded all over one of my slices. Bummer. Garlicky bummer. It was an amateur move, for sure. But Mister DeVizzaPizza doesn't give up without a fight. I carefully removed the most heavily powdered section of cheese, using a knife and fork, and carried on along my way. Sometimes you've gotta dig deep, pizza friends.

Anyway, this incident, along with a conversation I've been having with Rory (of fake pizza place name fame - don't forget to vote in the Mister DeVizzaPizza Fake Pizza Place Name Contest!!) about an ill-fated pie topped with salad greens, has got me thinking...

What do you like on your pizza? Peppers and onion? A light dusting of Parmesan cheese? Leeks? Roasted potatoes? Sausage? What's your preference, pizza pals? Let's hear it in the comments section...and in the meantime, here's this:









Ignored?!?!?!

7 comments:

Gianmarco Cilli said...

I generally avoid toppings. I love the pizza margherita. When I was in Sweden though, I had a crazy pizza that was pretty awesome. It was called kebob pizza, and it had spicy meat and peppers all over it. It almost melted my face off, but it was surprisingly good.

Mucho Mango said...

dear mister devizzaria,
once I lived with a dude who would cook up a whole frozen pizza, eat all but two slices, and then re-freeze the remaining slices. why would someone do this? was he afraid he wouldn't be able to finish them the next day and they would go bad? why couldn't he finish the slices the same night?

love,
a concerned pizza lover

Anonymous said...

I prefer my pizza pies plain. Just a traditional plain pizza. I think this goes back to my days of getting the Penn Pizza pick up special for $5.99. I crushed an entire pie once from that place. Boy, was that ever so an uncomfortable experience for the next few hours. Lately I've been ordering my plain pies from Toto's out here in G-Town. They have a seriously quality pizza. Their white pizza is delicious too. But I tend to like a bit of sauce, myself.

carlapants said...

Let us not ignore the magical combination of pizza + french fries, where the fries are placed directly atop the pie post-bake and the pizza is nasty greasy El Greco style.

I do love the broccoli rabe/Italian sausage combo of Rustica fame. But you vegetarians don't know about that. Eggplant, if done perfectly, is magical. My all time fave, though, is hot peppers and black olives from Tata's. Ummmmmmmmmm Tatas. I wonder if I went back for nostalgia pizza... would it be as good?

grackles said...

DeVizza Pizza: Giving Philly Burger Boy a run for his money!

When I used to dine on swine, I was pretty into Pineapple and Ham as a topping set. Now, pretty much anything veggie floats my boat: mushrooms, sliced tomato, spinach, you name it.

What are your thoughts on eggs as a topping? seems gross to me, but I hear its pretty great.

Unknown said...

My favorite pizza is porbably Crawdaddy from Rustica. When in NYC, I enjoy Two Boots' swamp monster. For a plainer pizza, I enjoy basil, mozzerella, fresh tomatoes and garlic. But for me, pizza must always have cheese. Otherwise it is nothing but glorified bruschetta.

And.....

Oh my gosh, TaTa's! Who is carlapants? I used to (and probably still have) a purple, xxL, Tata's T-shirt that Mr. Tata gave me when I left New Brunswick. Garlic pie from Tata's.

Jeffois said...

plain pizzas make me feel like i'm missing out. in order to live a full life in pizza, i feel like you need to experience everything. get some toppings on that shizz!